Dr. Thompson's Straight Talk on Autism
Edited by Travis Thompson, Ph.D.
Brookes Publishing Company/2008
Paperback / 282 pages
Everyone who cares for or works with a child with autism will wear out their copy of this book—a "helpline" they can turn to again and again for concrete, practical interventions that really work. Trusted authority Travis Thompson, author of the bestselling Making Sense of Autism, takes readers beyond understanding the disorder and reveals specific ways to help children overcome everyday challenges and develop critical skills they'll use their whole lives. Based on the latest research and the author's extensive clinical experience, these ready-to-use tips and strategies will help children with autism spectrum disorders meet their toughest challenges head-on:
* communicating more effectively
* making improvements in behavior
* increasing their tolerance for change
* developing social skills
* establishing secure, trusting relationships
* recognizing and reacting to emotions
* overcoming stimulus intolerance
* engaging in recreation and leisure activities
* enjoying greater participation in their community and family lives
Engaging illustrations throughout the book show children with autism participating in a wide variety of activities, and the sample pictorial schedules will help readers guide children successfully through everyday routines. A straightforward, easy-to-read sourcebook for anyone new to helping children with autism, this guide offers simple, specific strategies that improve quality of life—for children and for whole families.