This FREE 1-hour live webinar will be held on October 9th from 8pm to 10pm Eastern Time. Your CE certificate will be generated upon comletion of the webinar, pending your attendance is verified and you complete a brief survey module. Please note that in order to earn a CE certificate you must purchase this product. The webinar is FREE to attend, but the CE credits requires purchase.
The "Recognizing Misophonia" webinar (10/4, 12pm EST) is recommended as a prerequisite for this webinar. Contact us for information on viewing the video if you cannot attend the "Recognizing Misophonia" webinar! If you would like to attend the "Recognizing Misophonia" prerequisite webinar, please visit the product page: https://www.behaviordevelopmentsolutions.com/free-live-webinar-oct-4th-12pm-to-1pm-est-recognizing-misophonia
How it works:
- You may attend this webinar for free!
- If you would like to register for the free webinar, simply add the "Webinar Only" product to your shopping cart and complete the checkout process. You will not be charged for the "Webinar Only" product.
- One hour prior to the start of the webinar, BDS will email you a special link that you must use to join the live webinar event.
- To earn the optional CE credit, purchase access via this product page. You may do so prior to or within 7 days after the CE event. Add the "Webinar and CE Credits" product to your cart and complete the checkout process.
- The link you must use to join the webinar will be emailed to you approximately one hour before the event.
- This is a LIVE Webinar! This means you must be able to attend during the day and time noted in this product description. You will also need a reliable internet connection.
- To test your device for compatibilty, please use this GoToWebinar test link: https://support.logmeininc.com/gotowebinar/system-check-attendee to test your system for compatibilty.
- Your attendence will be verified during the webinar via questions that will be asked at random intervals. If you do not respond to a sufficient number of questions, you will not earn CE credit for attending (this only applies to attendants who purchase the CE credit component of this course). (The questions asked during the live webinar are not "test" questions and are not designed to assess your knowledge; their purpose is to confirm that you are physically attending the event.)
- Once the webinar has ended and your attendance has been confirmed you will be able to access to a survey module on our learning platform (this only applies to attendants who purchase the CE credit component of this event). Once you complete the survey module, your CE certificate will automatically be generated!
Misophonia is a distinct respondent behavior condition where a person perceives an innocuous stimulus (e.g. chewing sound) and has an excessive response of emotional (anger/anxiety/disgust), escape, avoidance, and aggression. Once the misophonic response develops, it typically increases in severity with real-life exposure to misophonic stimuli. With continued exposure to trigger stimuli, the number of triggers increase and the severity of the response increases. In some cases, misophonia can be debilitating.
This webinar will review the research on misophonia and describe the theory of misophonia as a conditioned aversive respondent behavior. Management and treatment intervention options for misophonia will be reviewed based on the research, theory, case studies, and practitioner experience. It is important to understand environmental manipulations that can reduce the severity of the misophonic response and therefore prevent or slow the worsening of this condition.
Learning Objectives | Participants will be able to:
- Describe the theory of Stimulus-Response Pavlovian conditioning as it applies to misophonia.
- Describe two environmental manipulations that may reduce the severity of the misophonic response.
- Describe at least one intervention for misophonia described in peer reviewed literature.
About the Instructor: Thomas Dozier, MS, is a BCBA and works as a behavioral parenting coach and parenting skills trainer (and misophonia treatment provider). In 2012 a mother introduced him to misophonia, saying it was a hearing disorder with no cure that would ruin her daughter’s life. But the girl had auditory, visual, and olfactory trigger stimuli that produce the same response. This could not be a hearing disorder; it was more likely a respondent behavior disorder. Tom has researched misophonia since then. He is the author of 5 peer review journal articles, with 2 more in review. He is also the author of the book Understanding and Overcoming Misophonia, A Conditioned Aversive Reflex Disorder. In 2016 Tom founded the nonprofit Misophonia Institute to promote awareness, research, and development of treatments for misophonia: https://misophoniatreatment.com/about-tom-and-m-t-i/
The Behavior Analyst Certification Board® does not warrant, endorse, sponsor, approve or partner with the CE events, this organization, or instructors. (Note that the above disclaimer does not mean that the BACB disapproves these products. They simply don't endorse any CE products or events and they want you to know this. However, they do approve providers and BDS is an Approved CE Provider. Therefore, you can rest assured that your CE credits will be accepted by the BACB.)
Select the desired product below. You may register for the free webinar only, or you may purchase the webinar and CE credit option. Read "How it Works" above for more details.