The ABCs of the ADA
Your Early Childhood Program's Guide to the Americans with Disabilities Act
By Karren Ikeda Wood, Ed.D., & Victoria Youcha, Ed.D.
Brookes Publishing, Paperback / 216 pages
List Price $31.95
Clearance Price $23.00
This is it—the only clear and simple resource that fully explains the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and shows early childhood programs what they need to do to promote inclusion and ensure compliance with the law. Answering early childhood administrators' most pressing questions about the legal issues surrounding inclusive programs, this informative and practical guidebook gives readers everything they need to create, implement, and monitor the success of their plan for ADA compliance. With this book, directors and managers of early childhood programs will
* understand the requirements of the ADA and other disability laws, including IDEA and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act
* develop policies, procedures, and program materials that meet ADA requirements
* troubleshoot problems and implement solutions for little or no cost
* help program staff and families learn about and accept inclusive practices
* support positive behavior through environmental adaptations
* make accommodations that promote children's physical accessibility and successful communication
* meet the needs of children with chronic health conditions
Much more than an overview of legislation, this book includes practical checklists, guidelines, and sample policy statements that programs can use to improve the physical accessibility of play areas, create parent handbooks and operations manuals, conduct program reviews, address staff development needs, and more. Every early childhood program will use this essential ADA guide as an active reference—to ensure compliance with the law and to welcome and support the full participation of children with disabilities.